Cosmetic surgery is more in-demand than ever before and procedures have improved dramatically in terms of quality and results. This article will help you in making informed decisions about your body and health as you consider a cosmetic surgical procedure. Below you will find a checklist of important considerations when looking for a surgeon as well as information on available procedures. The links in this article lead to other areas of this website where you can learn more about each operation.
Choosing a potential surgeon
There are three main areas to understand when looking at possible surgeons for a cosmetic procedure – qualifications and procedure specific experience, potential risks and complications, and after-care expectations.
You can learn a lot about a doctor’s experience just by looking at the qualifications listed on their title. Although all practicing physicians will have an MD (Doctor of Medicine), a surgeon will go on to specialize in their field and can earn additional accreditation such as the Fellows of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (FRCSC). This is the national standard for specialist medical expertise and confirms the Fellow is committed to specific standards and lifelong learning. You can find out specific information about a surgeon by reviewing their resume and published articles in the medical community.
Beyond this there are a series of online review sites that are specifically tailored toward the medical field where you can get an understanding of a surgeons’ approach. Sites such as Rate MDs and Real Self offer a range of information and patient testimonials. If you want to find out about a doctor’s procedure specific experience, don’t be afraid to simply ask them!
Another concern on most patients’ minds are the potential risks associated with surgery. Below you will find a range of available procedures with links to further information and associated risks or complications. Take the time to review these areas so you can come to your consultation armed with any questions you need to feel at ease when making your decision.
Sometimes offices have unique services like the Vectra 3D imaging system, which captures face, breast, and body images in ultra-high resolution 3D, and lets patients visualize the possibilities of their aesthetic procedures. Dr. Macadam’s office is equipped with the only Vectra 3D machine of its kind in our area, and allows patients to see possible outcomes in their own image as part of the consultation process.
Lastly, make sure to speak with your doctor about after-care. They will be able to explain the facilities within which the procedures will take place, the time you can spend in the hospital post-operation and how to ensure your healing progresses as planned.
1. Breast Augmentation & Lifts If you are unhappy with your breasts, you may be considering augmentation. Often, a breast lift (or mastopexy) is performed at the same time for reasons associated with aging, weight loss or post-pregnancy changes. Augmentation can be performed in two ways, either through implants or fat grafting, involving the removal of fat from one area and injection in to the breast.
2. Breast Reduction This procedure is usually selected for those wishing to alleviate back and neck pain or difficulties in exercising due to the size of your breasts.
3. Tummy Tuck An abdominoplasty is an option for women that have extra tissue on the lower abdomen that is resistant to exercise and diet. Taking approximately 3-4 hours, this procedure removes excess fatty tissue and tightens the abdomen muscles for a narrower waist and flatter profile.
4. Liposuction For patients that have stubborn fat they are unable to reduce through diet and exercise alone, liposuction is an option that can be performed on the neck, abdomen, hips, thighs, knees, sides or upper back.
5. Eyelid Drooping Many of our patients decide to undergo blepharoplasty to correct excess hanging skin on the upper eyelid. The scar can be well-concealed in the natural eyelid crease and patients typically return home on the same day as the 1.5-2.5 hour surgery.
6. Permanent Makeup From eyeliner and eyebrows to lip colour and symmetry, permanent makeup is ideal for people with fair features, people who are allergic to makeup or people looking to save time. These procedures are fast, simple and done with very limited discomfort.
If you are interested in finding out more you can book a consultation with Dr. Sheina Macadam to discuss your options and address any concerns you may have. Get in touch with our office here.